Tuesday 12 June 2012

2007 June - The Iron Man Poem


Some friends told me I was mad, but I was determined.
My family promised they would come and watch
To make sure I finished in one piece
In the Ironman Race 2007, in Nice;

The big day arrived.
I swore that nothing was going to get in my way.
I must just focus on the race
And keep up a good pace;

I was up at the crack of dawn, my bags all packed.
As I made my way to the starting line
All I could see was a gaggle of people gathering on the shore, more and more.
And suddenly I was amongst them, and then there was silence;

The gun went off, the waiting was over.
I glided through the sea, hundreds of figures around me
All dressed in black, like slippery seals,
Swimming back to back;

By the time I finished the swim, the elite had gone
My first transition was smooth, but long.
And then I was off, zooming along on my bike
But I had no idea I was up for such a long hike;

The first hill appeared, then the second, then the third.
I thought they would never end.
Before I knew it I was all alone,
Was I now coming last, I asked;

Transition number two, I knew what I had to do.
Only 26.2 miles to go, I was sure to finish;
As I sped down the first mile, the crowds were still cheering,
Although at this point I was becoming short of hearing;

I crossed the finishing line to see the setting sun,
All negative thoughts left me, it had been fun.
I immediately starting planning when I could do another,
But little did I know, I was about to become a mother!

Written by Tanya Anderson (6 weeks pregnant on 20th June 07 – Holly Anderson, born 26 February 08)

1 comment:

  1. Love the poem!

    Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete